Re: Case mapping of sharp s

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Case mapping of sharp s
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 20:46:41 +0900

Ulrich Mueller writes:

 > When the search is for equivalence classes of characters (e.g. case
 > folding), then I think it must operate on whole characters and
 > therefore has to find the start of each multibyte sequence.

This is false for certain equivalence classes, namely those that cause
only one octet of the multibyte representation to change.  For Mule
encoding, this works for ranges of 96 characters, such as all the
unibyte charsets.  For UTF-8, it works for ASCII, and IIRC for letters
in the Latin-1 set, and maybe many other Latin letters.