Re: bzr repository ready?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: bzr repository ready?
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 17:10:15 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

[large snip]

>> > Finally, some guidance for users on Windows, if there are any issues
>> > that need special attention (EOL format comes to mind, as well as
>> > binary files, but maybe there's more).

AFAIK, bzr does not EOL handling at all. All files are binary on this
aspect. For true binary files, I don't know much about how bzr handles
them. There is this FAQ:

http://bazaar-vcs.org/FAQ#Are binary files handled?

which hints that it does basic detecting and handling.

>> That I can't help with (Windows-free since 1992), but there are plenty
>> of Bazaar Windows users and an active user community in general.  See
>> http://bazaar-vcs.org/ for details.
>
> Are there some more focused pointers?  I couldn't find any
> Windows-specific information on that page, or on first-level pages
> linked from it.  What bothers me the most is the required setup of SSH
> (since Bazaar evidently uses SFTP, or needs to use it to access the
> master repository on subversions).  Any pointers for that?

Setting up putty's pageant is easy and resolves the sftp/ssh issue
nicely. bzr will detect its presence and use it automatically.

> Also, the merits and demerits of the two possible Windows installation
> methods (either install Python and all the bzr dependencies manually,
> then install bzr using a Python installer; or install the full bundle)
> are not clear.  It sounds like the second one is faster and simpler,
> but does not support easy uninstall when one wants to upgrade to a
> newer version of bzr, is that right?

Definitely, the full bundle shall be the recommended on, unless you are
an experienced Python user which is familiarized with locating and
installing Python libraries.

--
Óscar