Re: bzr repository ready?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bzr repository ready?
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 06:19:03 +0200

> From:  Óscar_Fuentes Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 23:51:41 +0100
>
> First, you are not using a version control system for your changes: it
> would be quite scary to me making large changes to a complex code base
> without the ability to undo the changes or inspect how and when they
> were introduced.

I do have history, just not a public one.  And undoing changes to
debug problems is not my style.  If worse comes to worst, I always
have the current v23.x codebase to compare with.

> Second, publishing your work requires making a tarball
> with the modified sources (or the diff against certain tag of Emacs
> CVS).

Since I merge with mainline every few days, I always have a diff
against the current CVS, give or take a few days.  And if I need a
diff against the current CVS, I just need to "cvs up" again.

> Using bzr will bring in version control for your work. And you can
> publish your emacs variant with full history simply putting a mirror on
> a web server and pushing your local changes to it.

If others had offered help working on this, I'd have made a CVS branch
long ago.  But since I'm the only one interested in this for now,
maintaining a branch is just a waste of my time.

Mind you, I'm not arguing that a VCS or bzr are not needed, just that
their impact is minimal in my case.  Nevertheless, I will, of course,
use bzr when we switch to it.  That's why I was asking questions all
this weekend.