Re: t and nil in pure memory?

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: t and nil in pure memory?
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 22:05:57 -0500

On Nov 18, 2009, at 14:13, Tom Tromey wrote:
"Ken" == Ken Raeburn <address@hidden> writes:

Ken> But maybe we should also consider a more drastic change: Use Hans
Ken> Boehm's GC library.

FWIW, there's already a branch for this. Apparently the work was never
completed, though.

Ah, yes, so there is...  I'd forgotten about that, thanks.

It occurs to me that -- again, if my guile-emacs work catches on -- some of the remaining storage management code will probably have to change to be boehm-gc compatible. Maybe I should see what it would take to update Dave's work to the current source base, as yet another project that may have its uses independent of the guile work.

 There's also a bit of traffic about it in the
emacs-devel archives.

I'm looking now... though most of it seems to be "maybe we should consider doing this" type traffic. There's a report that a "very limited experiment" with XEmacs found it to be slower, but not much analysis of why. And, it (the email report) was seven years ago; libgc may have improved.

Ken