Re: bzr repository ready?

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: bzr repository ready?
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 21:09:19 -0600

> They are not equivalent.  The ChangeLog files are included in the
> checkout, so you can read them even when you are offline (which is
> nearly all the time, for me).  `bzr log' requires contact with the
> repository.

Yes, but the repository is local too!

There are possible setups in which a repository might be non-local, but
I hope we won't be recommending any of those for Emacs.  In all the bzr
setups I use, logs and other history information are available locally.
This is the normal way to use distributed version control systems, not
just bzr.

By the way, 'bzr log --gnu-changelog' will print the log information in
ChangeLog format.

> Is there a way to get all the information about what has been
> merged into the current trunk?

Yes:

  $ bzr log -n0

Actually, make that:

  ### unplug your network cable...
  $ bzr log -n0
  ### ...watch it work anyway :-)

> Various directories have separate ChangeLog files.  Is that true also
> for `bzr log', or is it one log for the whole package?

One log for the entire "package" ("branch", in bzr terminology).
You can specify subdir arguments, if you only want the logs for
those subdirs.

> Another convenience with ChangeLog files is that we split them into
> manageable-size parts.  It would be nice to have a script that would
> do the same thing to the output of `bzr log', preferring to split
> at the points where releases occurred.

Just use the -r flag to show only logs in a certain date range.
(A script could do that, with the dates set to release dates, of course.)

-Karl