Re: bzr repository ready?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: bzr repository ready?
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 04:20:10 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

[snip]

>> The `pull' you do at the end is unnecessary because you already have
>> the most recent data from the repository.
>
> The purpose is not to get the most recent data.  It's two fold:
> 1- to set the .bzr/branch/branch.conf's parent_branch.

You'll better use

bzr pull --remember sftp://bzr.sv.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/trunk
         ^^^^^^^^^^

just in case the branch already has `pull branch' (not to confuse with
the parent branch, for setting this you need to edit a configuration
file under the .bzr directory of the branch, IIRC). After all, you are
copying raw files and can't assume a lot about the configuration of the
branches you are obtaining.

The operation should be done for each branch on the repo (using the
correct URL to the remote branch), because `bzr pull', as almost every
other command, works on only one branch.

[snip]

>> Besides, you usually are interested on one or two branches,
>> not on the whole repository.
>
> The time it takes to "bzr clone" a single branch from the Emacs
> repository is many times larger than downloading the tarball containing
> every single banch.

Uh, I forgot how much `bzr branch' sucks for cloning large branches
across the internet.

[snip]

--
Óscar