Re: Bad choice of license in BzrForEmacsDevs

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Bad choice of license in BzrForEmacsDevs
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 21:30:27 -0600

> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs
> allows GPL version 2, but not the current version.

That's not quite true.  The license blurb at the bottom of the page
says:

  This work is licensed to you under version 2 of the GNU General Public
  License.  Alternatively, you may choose to receive this work under any
  other license that grants the right to use, copy, modify, and/or
  distribute the work, as long as that license imposes the restriction
  that derivative works have to grant the same rights and impose the
  same restriction. For example, you may choose to receive this work
  under the GNU Free Documentation License, the CreativeCommons
  ShareAlike License, the XEmacs manual license, or similar licenses."

So that allows the GPLv3, as well as many other licenses.

(Note also that the words "similar licenses" at the end link to a very
short and simple share-alike type of license.)

> This is not a good thing.  Would the author(s) please
> change it to allow future versions of the GNU GPL as well?
> The documentation we recommend to Emacs developers has to
> set a good example for licensing as well as have useful
> information.

I wrote most of that page, and would be happy to change "2" to "3" in
the blurb, but don't see how to do so.  It appears to be an
administrative function of the EmacsWiki site, and I'm not sure how to
change it, nor whether it can be changed on a per-page basis.

> Are there other pages on emacswiki.org which have this problem?

All of them, presumably (though I'm not sure it's a problem).

-Karl