Re: bzr repository ready?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: bzr repository ready?
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 15:44:55 +0900

Jason Earl writes:

 > On the one hand you chide me for adding a slight change to the bzr

I did not.  I criticized you for adding a pile of vocabulary without
explaining it.

 > If the criticism of bzr is that it doesn't have colocated branches
 > requiring several instances of "make bootstrap" then here is how you
 > solve it.

No.  It's a *warning* that dVCS fans, of whom there are several on
this list, often *will* recommend a naive and inefficient "bzr branch"
as the first step in any workflow.  Óscar Fuentes in a related
subthread admits to doing exactly in a different context (cloning a
remote branch vs remote file copying a tarball), and the wiki still
does so.  That is a bad idea for many tasks, which really should use
alternative workflows.  But they *are* alternative workflows, and are
*not* explained on the Emacs wiki.

The rest of your post is very much what I was looking for.  Well done!

One quibble:

 > On the other hand if you really like git's colocated branches bzr
 > can be easily set up to approximate them.

No, it is *not* easy, unless you use a definition of "approximate"
that will be unacceptable to many git fans.  Agreed, the "lightweight
checkout plus bzr switch" workflow has similar efficiency properties
for most tasks, but there's a lot more to the git model than just fast
"git checkout".