RE: Emacs for new users

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Emacs for new users
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:22:09 -0800

> > I do not want to see minibuffer inputting become something
> > strictly modal that locks you into some restricted dialog.
> > Users should be able to go anywhere and
> > do pretty much anything while the minibuffer is active.
>
> I said for new users.

I know you did.

I do not want to see the minibuffer becoming like that for new users either.

> However I am not at all sure what states you can get into when you
> leave minibuffer. What is allowed and what is not? Are you sure?

Am I sure of what? Just try it. You can do whatever you like outside the
minibuffer. Just move to another buffer (e.g. use `C-x o' or click `mouse-1' in
another window) without exiting the minibuffer with `RET' or `C-g'.

If you `enable-recursive-minibuffers', then you can even activate the minibuffer
again (another level) - e.g. you can use `M-x' to invoke a command, then return
to the previous state (previous minibuffer level).