Re: [feature request] SOCK_SEQPACKET

From: Daniel Hackney
Subject: Re: [feature request] SOCK_SEQPACKET
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:17:20 -0500

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>> [...] I noticed that Emacs can't use the SOCK_SEQPACKET type.
>
>> It doesn't seem like SOCK_SEQPACKET is used much, but it would be
>> nice to have, if only for completeness sake. I don't really know any
>> C-level Emacs programming (I'm pretty comfortable with Elisp), but I
>> would be willing to help out however I can if given some guidance and
>> an overview of what would need to be done.
>
> You can start with the patch below (guaranteed 100% untested). I know
> nothing about SOCK_SEQPACKET, other than what I just read in the
> manpage of `socket', so this code probably doesn't do the right thing.

I'm in pretty much the same boat, as I had never even heard of
SOCK_SEQPACKET until I saw that Uzbl uses it. I'll hack on it a bit to
test it and make sure it works, but you'll probably want someone with
legitimate socket knowledge (i.e. not me ;) to review it before
committing anything I turn out.

> The main problem I'd except would have to do with the fact that Emacs
> will typically read and write in blocks of fixed size (like 1KB or 4KB
> maybe, IIRC), so for packets smaller than that size it might work
> fine, but for larger packets you may end up having to make more
> substantial changes.

I'll check it out. I'll definitely have to spend some more time wrapping
my head around the semantics of SOCK_SEQPACKET, but I'll try to turn out
something that works reliably. Thanks for the start, though!

--
Daniel M. Hackney