Re: Displaying bytes (was: Inadequate documentation of silly characters

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Displaying bytes (was: Inadequate documentation of silly characters on screen.)
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 14:59:54 +0900

Kenichi Handa writes:
 > In article <address@hidden>, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

 > > If so, should we change the default priorities?
 >
 > I'm not sure.  As it seems that windows-1252 is a superset of
 > iso-8859-1, it may be ok to give windows-1252 the higher priority.
 > How do iso-8859-1 users think?

Why not make a Windows-12xx coding-category?  If you don't want to
advertise what it is, you could call it "ascii8" or "pseudo-ascii" or
something like that.  (Wouldn't some of the obsolete Vietnamese
standards fit this too?  Ie, 0-0177 are the same as ISO-646, and
0200-0377 are used for the alternate script?)

If you don't make a separate coding category for that, I don't like
the change, myself.  Windows-12xx character sets are proprietary in
the sense that last I looked, the IANA registry for Windows-12xx coded
character sets pointed to internal Microsoft documents, and made no
promises about changes to those documents.  As far as I know,
Microsoft added the EURO SIGN to Windows-1252 simply by editing that
internal page.  There was no indication of the history of such changes
on the IANA page.