Re: New bug tracker server

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: New bug tracker server
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 12:58:27 -0500

Chong Yidong wrote:

> I don't know why this happens, but unless someone can think of a fix, it
> seems we have to either give up the practice of using BCC to manipulate
> bugs, or abandon moderation via mailing list.  Thoughts?

If there is no fix, personally I would much rather give up BCC. It's a
simple restriction, which I think would be easy to remember, and worth
the trade-off.

The only downsides I can see to not using BCC are minor:

i) People may cc the control server on replies by accident. This isn't
a big deal, the control server won't understand what they say and will
just complain.

ii) People may send mail to 1234-done in response to a close notice.
This is only an issue if the bug has since been reopened, since it
will get closed again. This happens very rarely in my experience.

I have never used BCC for a -done address, I often use it for the
control server.

But not using BCC would not of itself solve this problem, since it
currently fails with explicit cc as well, see eg: