Re: Displaying bytes

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Displaying bytes
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 01:24:32 -0500

    >     There pretty much shouldn't be any in multibyte buffers.

    > Would it be good to ask people to send bug reports when these
    > stray byte characters appear in multibyte buffers?

    No, these chars can appear in cases where Emacs does the right thing.
    I.e. sometimes they reflect bugs, but often they just reflect "pilot
    errors" or corrupted data completely outside the control of Emacs.

If it is nearly always due to a bug, a user error, or bad data,
perhaps it would be good to display a diagnostic after file commands
that put them in the buffer.  Perhaps pop up a buffer explaining what
these mean and what to do about them.