Re: HELP, PLEASE! Syntax problem!

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: HELP, PLEASE! Syntax problem!
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 08:53:34 +0000

Hi, Stephen!

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 09:12:27AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie writes:

>  > Hahaha!  Yes, indeed.   But I'm dealing with C, Objective C, AWK, ...
>  > and even (excuse somebody else's language) C++.  With that little bag,
>  > life is one problem after another.  The secret is to hack the problems
>  > so that they become former problems.  ;-)

> (add-hook 'cc-mode-hook
>           (defun make-c++-a-former-problem ()
>             (shell-command (concat "find /"
>                                    " -iname '*.cc'"
>                                    " -o -name '*.C'"
>                                    " -exec rm -f \\{\\}\\;"))))

> should do the trick.  Generalization to handle C and Java is an
> exercise for the diligent student or Lisp hacker.  Some people may
> find this a bit invasive, of course.  YMMV....

It should indeed do the trick.  Just a word to our younger users, though:
DON'T TRY THIS ON YOUR OWN.  MAKE SURE YOUR MUM OR DAD ARE THERE TO
HELP!!!

Just as a matter of interest (ha!) Stephen, does XEmacs have an
equivalent to the 'category text property?  I've had a look through the
sources, but didn't find it.  The essential characteristic of 'category
is a level of indirection in text properties (or overlay properties) -
one can set a 'category TP on 1000 separate characters, and by merely one
invocation of `put', can set the TPs on all these 1000 chars at once.  Is
there anything in XEmacs that does this?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).