Re: [emacs-bidi] Bidi Emacs: R2L paragraphs and the direction of glyph_

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Bidi Emacs: R2L paragraphs and the direction of glyph_row
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 11:10:50 -0500

> Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 08:58:39 -0600
> From: Gregg Reynolds <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> I've got lots of complaints about the way most bidi-enabled editors handle
> keyboard and cursor interaction; would a list of specific annoyances, er,
> use-cases be of any use?

Yes, certainly.  But please try to describe each annoyance, er,
use-case in enough detail, because most probably people here (myself
included) will not be familiar with many other editors.  Thanks in
advance.

> For example, in Mellel (http://www.redlers.com/) I've discovered that if an
> RTL document starts with an LTR string, it is impossible to simply insert a
> linefeed in front of that string.

How do you mean ``impossible''? what happens if you try inserting a
newline after going to the beginning of the buffer (with the
equivalent of "M-<" or C-Home)?

> It's also a major pain to edit XML in a bidi editor.  And I do mean
> major.

Again, an explicit list of main problems would be useful (although I
deliberately decided not to handle bidirectional editing for meta
documents yet, so this specific class of problems is still a long way
from being dealt with).

Thanks.