Re: [emacs-bidi] Bidi Emacs: R2L paragraphs and the direction of glyph_

From: Gregg Reynolds
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Bidi Emacs: R2L paragraphs and the direction of glyph_row
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 08:58:39 -0600

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 3:15 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
This issue is borderline between design and implementation, but the
decision will affect lots of code to be written/changed later, so I'm
posting this here, in case there are some considerations that I
missed.

I've got lots of complaints about the way most bidi-enabled editors handle keyboard and cursor interaction; would a list of specific annoyances, er, use-cases be of any use?

For example, in Mellel (http://www.redlers.com/) I've discovered that if an RTL document starts with an LTR string, it is impossible to simply insert a linefeed in front of that string.  It's also a major pain to edit XML in a bidi editor.  And I do mean major.  If emacs could make it easy and natural to perform such operations it would be manna from heaven.

Cheers,

Gregg