Re: [emacs-bidi] Bidi Emacs: R2L paragraphs and the direction of glyph_r

From: Martin J. Dürst
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Bidi Emacs: R2L paragraphs and the direction of glyph_row
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 20:11:47 +0900

Hello Eli, Gregg,

Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 08:58:39 -0600
From: Gregg Reynolds<address@hidden>

It's also a major pain to edit XML in a bidi editor.  And I do mean
major.

Again, an explicit list of main problems would be useful (although I
deliberately decided not to handle bidirectional editing for meta
documents yet, so this specific class of problems is still a long way
from being dealt with).

This is a well-known problem. For some more background and some attempt at a solution, please see:

http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp/2005/pub/IUC28-bidi/ and
http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp/2008/pub/IUC32-bidi/

Unfortunately, the test prototype available at
http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp/2008/pub/IUC32-bidi/bidi-source.html
is not very usable currently because the carret jumps around and has to be repositioned. That problem has been solved, but I didn't get around to make the update publicly available. Anyway, both the simulation and the Web-based editor should make it possible to test your problem cases and tell us whether our solutions help (we know they aren't perfect; there is no such thing as perfect bidi, unfortunately).

Questions and comments are very welcome!

In a discussion with Ken'ichi Handa and Naoto Takahashi in 2005, they pointed out that using bidi marks in overlays should make it possible in bidi emacs to address this problem. Unfortunately, nobody here is familiar enough with emacs lisp to implement this, but I'd be very glad to help somebody with some emacs lisp skills to work on such a project.

Regards,    Martin.

#-# http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp   mailto:address@hidden