Re: bzr repository ready?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: bzr repository ready?
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 04:06:40 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > I personally would regret [a document that advocates a particular
 > workflow to start from].  I think I'm grown-up enough to not have
 > me spoon-fed.  Give me the information and let me decide myself
 > what's best for me, even if I make some mistakes on the way.

But BzrForEmacsDevs is not about what's best for you.  Figuring *that*
out is your privilege, and your problem.  BzrForEmacsDevs is about
designing a recommended starter workflow that the majority of Emacs
hackers can adopt without worrying too much, while avoiding the common
mistakes that make life a lot less pleasant for the other people
accessing the repository.

See http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-11/msg01021.html
for a leading example of the subtleties.

See http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0805.2/0539.html
for some of Linus's wisdom on the social aspects of workflows.  That
really rings true for me, but do you have any idea what he's talking
about?

BTW, Dave Miller got 3rd degree burns from the process of Linus
working that out.  I tried to find Linus's flames to give you an idea
of how badly you can piss someone off with poor *social* workflow that
works well for you individually, but no luck.  Maybe somebody has an
URL, it was classic.

 > What is ``full dVCS practice''?  Can you describe it (or was it
 > already described in this thread)?

Heh.  Ask any three developers, you'll get four opinions. :-)