Re: Basic Bazaar guide for Emacs hackers.

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Basic Bazaar guide for Emacs hackers.
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 06:52:20 +0100

>  > will force me to explain what a Bazaar branch is and why it can be bound
>  > or unbound, and thus would introduce us into the field of multiple
>  > workflows, which is precisely what the document tries to avoid.
>
> I agree.  One caution I have is that in this case you probably should
> also avoid mentioning offline work, which requires understanding what
> "bound" means and either how to unbind or how to use the --local flag,
> and the implications of that for future work when reconnected.

The document has two parts: the first gives you everything you need for
commiting changes to Emacs' upstream and the second part hints at
possibilities ("see what you are missing") for motivating people to
learn more (and ends with a reference to your page). The second part is
intentionally vague and having half-cooked concepts there is perfectly
okay.

For the implications of committing offline, I was thinking on the
good-behaved CVS committer, as in the first part of the document. So
going offline does not mean here changing his commit criteria, but
simply deferring the sending of changes upstream. Do you think that this
is still problematic? (due to the pre-push merge, for instance) If yes,
I'll remove all explicit indications and leave just a note about the
possibility of committing offline.

Thanks for your comments.

--
Óscar