Re: Basic Bazaar guide for Emacs hackers.

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Basic Bazaar guide for Emacs hackers.
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 16:00:44 +0900

Óscar Fuentes writes:

 > For the implications of committing offline, I was thinking on the
 > good-behaved CVS committer, as in the first part of the document. So
 > going offline does not mean here changing his commit criteria, but
 > simply deferring the sending of changes upstream. Do you think that this
 > is still problematic?

I don't see a social workflow problem since everyone agrees that Emacs
committers have been well-behaved in the CVS context.  There's no
reason to suppose that will change in a CVS-like context just because
they're using Bazaar.

However, there are technical issues and some complexity in explaining
just what consequences offline commits have for your first commit
after reconnecting.  The behavior may be surprising to a new user.
Also, Stefan mentioned having had some issue with bound branches too.

 > (due to the pre-push merge, for instance) If yes, I'll remove all
 > explicit indications and leave just a note about the possibility of
 > committing offline.

How about:

    This workflow is designed with the assumption you'll be connected
    to the network whenever you want to commit.  It is possible to
    commit when offline, but if you need to do that frequently, first
    consider moving to a branch-based workflow as described in
    BzrForEmacsDevs.  If you still prefer this workflow, please ask;
    there are various methods, and which is best depends on your
    particular circumstances.