Re: auto-indent in emacs

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: auto-indent in emacs
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 12:08:15 -0800 (PST)

"Davis Herring" <address@hidden> writes:

  > >   > > Why?
  > >   > > TAB does `indent-region' just fine
  > >   >
  > >   > Only with Transient Mark Mode.
  > >
  > > i.e. by default.
  >
  > Well, either `indent-region' is important enough, even in the presence of
  > TAB/TMM, to get a keybinding (currently C-M-\), in which case it's

C-M-\ was there before t-m-m was the default.
t-m-m by default just made the binding not as useful as it used to be by
default, but people might still be using it.

TAB is a simple solution, it works by default.
We cannot provide generic solutions for all non-default options.

  > worthwhile to consider whether certain keyboards have difficulty
  > generating that event, or it's not, in which case we can just get rid of
  > the keybinding altogether now that TMM is the default and have one more
  > available for user customization (for those users on whose keyboards it is
  > a convenient chord).  Saying "it's a bad keybinding but we really don't
  > want it anyway" strikes me as nonsensical.

I have not said or implied anything of the sort.