Re: bzr repository ready?

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: bzr repository ready?
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 01:39:12 -0500

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 11:10 PM, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>    I think that once you have actually tried the workflow there (after the
>    switchover) you will find it is not hard to use.
>
> I don't expect to ever try it.  I am very busy, and I don't think
> it will be worth the effort.  I am going to use the simple method.
>
> You're asking people to invest a substantial effort, saying they
> will find it worth while.  Those who do a substantial amount of
> use of bzr may indeed find it so.  But I probably won't use it
> that much, so for me the investment would not be worth while.
> I am sure there are many others in the same position.

It's fine if you use the CVS-like method; you don't ever have to go
beyond that if you don't want to.

The documentation as it stands states clearly why it is better for
most people to learn the dVCS method.  Those people (like you) who
know that they do not want it do not have to learn the dVCS way.

Elsewhere you wrote:

> You are pushing too hard for people to use the more complex dVCS
> workflow.

You are pushing the Bazaar-knowledgeable people on this list to
support a workflow they themselves rarely use, and that they find
counterintuitive.  (And it's not "more complex".  It's different; to
those who are accustomed to it, it's simpler.)

As far as I can tell, all of those working on this migration who
actually have experience migrating other people and projects from
centralized systems to Bazaar agree that strongly encouraging the dVCS
workflow is the best thing to do.  You do not have that experience, so
I'm not sure what your opposite opinion is based on.

It's fine if some people consciously choose to hang back and continue
to use a centralized-style workflow -- no one has a problem with that.
I'll even answer questions about it when I am able to.

But there is no reason for the project as a whole to encourage it.
And since you already know what you are going to do, you are not
really harmed or impeded by documentation that recommends a different
way as the default but also documents the way you want to work.

So I don't understand your objection.  The CVS-like documentation
exists; it is referred to prominently from the top of the dVCS
documentation; and the relationship between the two is perfectly
clear.

If you want those of us writing it to also pretend neutrality between the
two ways ourselves, that's not going to happen.

-Karl