Re: Basic Bazaar guide for Emacs hackers.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Basic Bazaar guide for Emacs hackers.
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 21:03:19 +0200

> Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 10:26:02 -0500
> From: Karl Fogel <address@hidden>
> Cc: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=D3scar_Fuentes?= <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden
>
> > While the distributed workflow might be a better approach for people
> > starting with a clean slate, existing developers (and users who track CVS)
> > do not necessarily have the time to invest in learning a new workflow
> > immediately, and are looking for minimum disruption immediately after the
> > switch from CVS to bzr. So there is definite value in an additional document
> > describing a quick and painless transition from CVS, and probably a
> > migration path to the distributed workflow for when the developer has time
> > to adjust their habits.
>
> Absolutely.  We already have the additional document, and it is
> prominently linked to, so no problems there.

So, as long as we all think that the "Quick Start" page will be useful
to some, here are a comment about it:

The setup and workflow described by this page is advertised (by its
parent "Bzr For Emacs Devs") as ``CVS-like''.  But this isn't really
accurate, is it?  The command shown to checkout the trunk is this:

    bzr checkout URL_TO_UPSTREAM_TRUNK trunk

However, IIUC, the slightly modified checkout command

    bzr checkout --lightweight URL_TO_UPSTREAM_TRUNK trunk

is a closer equivalent of the CVS checkout, because it only checks out
the working tree without creating a full local copy of history.  The
history is only needed if one wants to commit locally.  People who
don't plan on using local commits don't need to pay the extra price of
larger disk storage and probably also some additional time it takes to
do a heavyweight checkout.

OTOH, if we think that a heavyweight checkout is the recommended way,
then we should at least mention its main benefit -- the local commit.
Currently, the page only hints on that, but stops short of showing the
commands to use this potential:

  You have in your disk a copy of the VC history of the trunk branch
  since the last bzr update. Hence, Bazaar does not need to contact a
  server upstream for displaying logs, reverting edited files,
  annotating, etc. This is useful for working off-line.

  Bazaar makes possible to commit changes off-line to your local history
  and send them upstream in one batch.

Personally, I would do both: tell about --lightweight as the
equivalent of CVS, and also tell about the local commits available
with the heavyweight checkouts.  But that's me.