Re: Listing branches with bzr

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Listing branches with bzr
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 03:17:59 +0100

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 3:13 AM, Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 11:20 PM, Jason Earl <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> To my surprise:
>>>
>>> bzr branches http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/
>>>
>>> works.  I thought this command needed a smart server, but apparently
>>> not.  It is part of the bzrtools plugins package.
>>>
>>> It might be faster to fire up a web browser and take a look at
>>> loggerhead though.  On my netbook the above command takes 1 minute 44
>>> seconds, on a fairly well connected network.
>>
>> Is that a bug, or?
>
> Not a bug AFAIK, just slow. For me it takes about 5 minutes.

Isn't it doing the same work as on the server? Is it the network
traffic that makes it so incredibly slow?

I am thinking about Stephens reply (which I have not had time to
respond to). He mentioned that git uses SHA to identify files why bzr
does not do that? Is that the cause of the time trouble we are seeing?

I would consider that just as serious as a bug. But maybe there is
something I do not understand there.