Re: support for bzr shelve/unshelve in vc-dir

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: support for bzr shelve/unshelve in vc-dir
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 04:31:36 +0100

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   > > If yes, I can try to whip up a patch before the feature freeze...
>   >
>   > There's no hurry on my side.  I'm probably more eager to see support for
>   > things like pull/push.
>
> The "no problem" case for those is easy, just run the corresponding
> command.
> If someone does the design for those, I can help with the implementation.

Being vc/vc-dir, I guess that the design must cover all dominant dVCS
today (git, mercurial, bazaar). I remember just a bit about git, and
know nothing about mercurial but, for the case of bazaar, adding basic
support for pull/push/merge seems fairly easy: execute the command,
report the result and refresh the displayed VC info.

One extra goodie that is not too hard to implement is to support an
invocation mode where the user can provide an alternative location (C-u
perhaps?). IIRC you must provide a location when you invoke push/merge
for the first time on Bazaar, so detecting and handling this condition
may be a bit tricky. Providing a location would be useful for `diff'
too, for showing the differences among two branches.

A system for storing named bookmarks (locations) so you are not forced
to write the same cumbersome URLs again and again and use names instead
would be very handy. I don't know how much work this requires.

Finally, implementing invocation parameters for supporting all the
useful variants 'merge' has seems a bit daunting to integrate on the
current interface and maybe warrants using a specific buffer where you
can preview what's available for merging (retrieved with `missing' or
with `diff') and then choose how to perform the operarion. This seems
very backend-dependent and a lot of work, but would add a lot of value
to vc/vc-dir.

--
Óscar