Re: Listing branches with bzr

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Listing branches with bzr
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 03:44:18 +0100

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Is that a bug, or?
>>
>> Not a bug AFAIK, just slow. For me it takes about 5 minutes.
>

> Isn't it doing the same work as on the server? Is it the network
> traffic that makes it so incredibly slow?

Possibly the operation is very chatty.

> I am thinking about Stephens reply (which I have not had time to
> respond to). He mentioned that git uses SHA to identify files why bzr
> does not do that? Is that the cause of the time trouble we are seeing?

I don't think so.

> I would consider that just as serious as a bug. But maybe there is
> something I do not understand there.

The `branches' command is implemented by the bzrtools plugin, so it
can't be considered a bug, or even a perfomance issue, on Bazaar proper.

Bazaar has a plugin architecture which makes very easy to add
functionality to it (in Python). There are some impressive plugins, like
my favorite, bzr-svn, which IMO turns bzr into a better Subversion
client than svn itself.

--
Óscar