Re: Basic Bazaar guide for Emacs hackers.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Basic Bazaar guide for Emacs hackers.
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 09:42:12 -0500

> Yes, it's slow.  "bzr annotate" in a lightweight checkout takes almost
> 3 minutes here.  What's worse, it seems to send the entire annotated
> source downstream in one big chunk, whereas CVS seemed to send it in

Remember that the network protocol used is sftp, so the remote
repository is "dumb" and cannot perform any operation such as
"annotate".  So when you do an "annotate", nothing is sent upstream
other than commands to fetch files that contain the relevant parts of
history, and then the annotate operation is performed locally.

> received.  (With a local branch, "bzr annotate" takes about 30
> seconds, not exactly the speed of light, either.)

Yes, it's a fairly slow operation, sadly.  I encourage you to complain
to the Bazaar developers about it,

        Stefan