Re: Basic Bazaar guide for Emacs hackers.

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Basic Bazaar guide for Emacs hackers.
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 10:59:01 -0500

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> Yes, it's slow.  "bzr annotate" in a lightweight checkout takes almost
>> 3 minutes here.  What's worse, it seems to send the entire annotated
>> source downstream in one big chunk, whereas CVS seemed to send it in
>
> Remember that the network protocol used is sftp, so the remote
> repository is "dumb" and cannot perform any operation such as
> "annotate".  So when you do an "annotate", nothing is sent upstream
> other than commands to fetch files that contain the relevant parts of
> history, and then the annotate operation is performed locally.

I'm hoping we can change that soon, with bzr+ssh access.  See
https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?107077 for details.

In related matters, I'm hoping we can get Bazaar 2.0.2 on Savannah.
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/bazaar/2009q4/064932.html quotes
Norbert Tretkowski as saying he has uploaded a bzr 2.0.2 lenny backport
to http://people.debian.org/~nobse/temp/bzr/, and that he'll upload it
to backports.org soon.  http://packages.debian.org/lenny-backports/bzr
doesn't have it yet, but I'm asking another uploader in IRC about it
right now (Jelmer Vernooij).  Transcript below.

-Karl

<kfogel> jelmer: have you seen
         https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/bazaar/2009q4/064932.html?
         Apparently Norbert Tretkowski has uploaded a bzr 2.0.2 lenny
         backport to http://people.debian.org/~nobse/temp/bzr/.  He said
         he was going to upload it to backports.org, but I don't see it
         at http://packages.debian.org/lenny-backports/bzr.  Is this
         something you can do?  (It would help us for the Emacs
         switchover.)

<jelmer> kfogel: I am able to upload, but we should probably check with
         him

<kfogel> jelmer: I don't know him, and his email address doesn't appear
         to be in that mail, but do you know how to contact him?  I can
         try to track him down if not.

<jelmer> kfogel, his email address is nobse at debian.org

<jelmer> he is also here on IRC as nobse

<jelmer> If you haven't asked him about the backports yet, I'm happy to
         talk to him

<kfogel> jelmer: I haven't talked to him about it yet.  If you can
         coordinate with him, that'd be great.  As soon as it's on
         backports, we'll ask the savannah.gnu.org admins to install it
         [...]