Re: [feature request] SOCK_SEQPACKET

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [feature request] SOCK_SEQPACKET
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 13:51:45 -0500

> At any rate, it looks like supporting SOCK_SEQPACKET over AF_UNIX
> wouldn't be that bad (I've basically got it working), so it might be
> worth cleaning that up for inclusion and waiting to see if anyone with
> the proper knowledge wants to come along and add SCTP support to Emacs.

Emacs hasn't been at the forefront of the networking technology, and
I don't see why that should change, so SEQPACKET with AF_UNIX is
perfectly sufficient.  If/when someone needs SEQPACKET over AF_INET, we
may then consider whether and how to add support for it.

> By the way, there were a few changes that needed to be made in order to
> allow creating AF_UNIX SOCK_SEQPACKET servers, basically replacing
> "socktype == SOCK_STREAM" with "socktype == SOCK_STREAM || socktype ==
> SOCK_SEQPACKET". I've attached a patch (to be applied after Stefan
> Monnier's previous patch) which takes care of this.

That's all?  With my patch plus yours, it works?
The mind boggles (I never wrote any networking code, so my patch was
really just an "educated guess" based on the existing code and the
manpage).

        Stefan