Re: C Mode: acceleration in brace deserts.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: C Mode: acceleration in brace deserts.
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 11:37:26 +0000

Hi, Richard,

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 12:31:10AM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     Short brusque answer: no - it[enhancement of c-parse-state]'s ~1300
>     lines of code, much of it arcane.

> Could it be rewritten into a modular facility?

I'm not sure what you mean here.  c-parse-state deals essentially with
the braces and any "lesser" parens in "brace-block" languages, and it's
tightly optimised, as tight as I could make it.  It makes extensive use
of brace/paren syntax (parse-partial-sexp and scan-lists) and plays dirty
tricks with category text properties.

Are you thinking of somehow parametrising it so that it could deal with
"braces" which are, say, keyword tokens like Pascal's BEGIN and END?  I
think this would be possible, but not worthwhile - it would probably be
better to write this from scratch, possibly along similar lines.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).