Re: VC command for showing outgoing changes

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: VC command for showing outgoing changes
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 11:45:36 -0800 (PST)

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

  > > It would be nice to have a VC command for showing the outgoing changes
  > > for distributed VC systems (i.e. the log of the changes that will be
  > > pushed when you do a VC push).
  > > Let's call this method vc-outgoing (name suggestions are welcome).
  >
  > I think before that we should have support for a `push' backend operation.
  >
  > > vc-hg-outgoing does this, but it's only for mercurial, it would be good
  > > to have a generic method for doing such a thing.
  >
  > Agreed.
  >
  > > One thing we can do is to create a log-view-base-mode and have
  > > log-view-mode and log-view-outgoing-mode derive from this mode, and have
  > > log-view-mode and log-view-outgoing-mode define their own commands and
  > > key bindings.
  >
  > Since each backend typically creates its own vc-<foo>-log-view-mode,
  > that tend to lead to the need for "multiple inheritance" in
  > define-derived-mode.  Given the lack of support for such a monster right
  > now, we should probably stick to something simpler, e.g. add
  > a log-view-outgoing binary var, behaving kind of like a minor-mode and
  > controlling availability of some extra bindings.

Here's a patch that implements the generic vc-incoming, vc-outgoing and
implements the backend specific functions for bzr, hg and partially for
git (no incoming and outgoing is not quite right).
Showing diffs works.
What keys should we use? C-x v I  and C-x v O ?
This will be useful when we switch to bzr...

OK to check in?