Re: Codifications of rules

From: Matthew Dempsky
Subject: Re: Codifications of rules
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 14:13:37 -0800

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
> Not much, sadly.  There Elisp manual has a section about coventions to
> follow for major modes, so the info should be there, but there's a lot
> more conventions than the documented ones.

Yeah, that's my impression.  I'm certainly a fan of consistency, so if
anyone else would find it useful, I'm willing to volunteer to help
maintain some documentation on standard coding conventions for Emacs
extensions.

> The general goal should be to make it easier for a user to state
> global preferences that affect all modes.

Agreed.

> These are usually welcome here (although they also tend to be delicate
> because users get quickly used to the old behavior and then show
> resistance to change).

Understood.

I'm happy to start reporting bugs about inconsistent behaviors so we
can discuss how to resolve them or whether they're better left as they
are.  I just don't want to distract developers from more important
issues.  (Satisfying my OCD is certainly important to me, but perhaps
not so much others. ;))