Re: css-mode: Indentation inconsistent with other major modes

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: css-mode: Indentation inconsistent with other major modes
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 12:53:25 +0900

Ken Hori <address@hidden> writes:
> css-mode.el uses its own customizable variable called
> `css-indent-offset' to set the basic indentation level, which is
> confusing because experienced users would normally assume setting
> tab-width will have effect on the indentation level, at least for
> `indent-according-to-mode'.
>
> To remove this confusion and to be consistent with most of the
> other major text/programming modes, I think `css-indent-offset'
> variable should be removed to be replaced by `tab-width'.

No, I think this is wrong -- the notion of "tab width" is different
than, and orthogonal to, the notion of "indentation level."  [The former
refers to the rendering of _tab characters_ in the file.]

What other major modes do you have in mind?  Many programming modes
use their own variables for indentation-level, e.g. `c-basic-offset' in c-mode.

-Miles

--
Alliance, n. In international politics, the union of two thieves who have
their hands so deeply inserted in each other's pockets that they cannot