Re: Fix for Cygwin/GSlice problem

From: Ken Brown
Subject: Re: Fix for Cygwin/GSlice problem
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 10:00:28 -0500

On 12/9/2009 9:31 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
+/* Emacs supplies its own malloc, but glib (part of Gtk+) calls
+ memalign and on Cygwin, that becomes the Cygwin supplied memalign.
+ As malloc is not the Cygwin malloc, the Cygwin memalign always
+ returns ENOSYS. A workaround is to set G_SLICE=always-malloc. */
+#define G_SLICE_ALWAYS_MALLOC
Why does Cygwin-Emacs use its own malloc rather than the system malloc?
Emacs prefers its own malloc when the system malloc doesn't have the
required hooks.  If this is critical or not I don't know.

I'd suggest we try to use Cygwin's system malloc, with a clear comment
about why we don't use our own, and what kind of workaround could be
used (the G_SLICE_ALWAYS_MALLOC) if we wanted to use our own.

OK, I'll give it a try and report back. I assume the way to do this is to remove '#define G_SLICE_ALWAYS_MALLOC' from src/s/cygwin.h and instead #define SYSTEM_MALLOC. [You don't need to respond unless this is wrong.]

Ken