Re: Out of tree builds

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Out of tree builds
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 19:25:24 +0100

Stefan Monnier skrev:
Are some people doing out-of-tree builds here?

I just tried one and encountered some problems, but they seem to have
been around for a long time (e.g. the use of ../src/bootstrap-emacs), so
I wonder: have people used it successfully in the (recent) past?

I'm often building Emacs outside of a CVS checkout, if that is what you
are asking.  There was a recent bootstrap failure, but other than this I
have been building Emacs in ~/tmp/emacs-src by copying everything *but*
the CVS/ directories for a long time (at least a couple of years).

Oh, bu out-of-tree builds I was talking about the following kind of
thing:

   mkdir build
   cd build
   /path/to/emacs/sources/configure
   make

this is supposed to work.  And you might like to use it to avoid
copying everything.

I do that. I don't have any problem with bootstrap. What problems are you seeing?

        Jan D.