Re: support for bzr shelve/unshelve in vc-dir

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: support for bzr shelve/unshelve in vc-dir
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 22:46:46 -0500

> We talked about texinfo documentation at the time of accession to GNU.
> I understand the value in having every GNU program consistent but
> texinfo is not very technically easy given our platform and the
> technical environment of 2009, and in my opinion not a good use
> of time.

I have no idea what you're referring to.  We all know that Texinfo is
not as sexy as HTML and has its share of shortcomings, but it does its
job fairly well and has several features still mostly unmatched by any
other format (especially when accessed via an Info viewer such as the
one in Emacs).

I think the question shouldn't be "should we do provide Texinfo", but
"how are we going to do it".

> However, if someone has an idea by which we can for example produce
> texinfo as an output, we will look at it.

Not knowing exactly how you generate your documentation, it's hard for
me to help, but at least if you can generate docbook output (which you
supposedly can from ReST), you can pass it on to docbook2x to get
Texinfo output.  Or maybe Pandoc can do it better straight from ReST
to Texinfo.

        Stefan