An observation on the Emacs display engine

From: David Kastrup
Subject: An observation on the Emacs display engine
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 16:54:42 +0100

Taking a look at the following Screenshot, we have an info document with
a table.  The entries in the first column are autowrapped.

PNG image

If we now look at the table entry `\chordmode { c:dim f:maj7 }', the
first line of the rendered table contains the image.  As a result, the
second wrapped line of the table label is awkwardly displaced
downwards.

Actually I now wanted to conclude that Emacs' display engine is not able
to deal with this situation better.  But I forgot about image slices.
One _could_ try to slice the image into pieces accommodating the line
height of the rest of the table.

So this particular case might theoretically be handled.  I am not sure
whether it is feasible to calculate the image slice height for that.
And if, instead of an image, we had a giant letter "B", then slicing
would not be available.

I doubt that this kind of use case crops up all too often.  But I just
wanted to mention it when seeing that info page.

All the best,

--
David Kastrup