Clipboard madness

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Clipboard madness
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 04:41:44 +0100

I am trying to send copy the summary text from an article in
PDF-format which I am reading with Acrobat Reader. It does not work
well at all in this case. For example ">" becomes "4". Some spaces
disappears.

I do not know what Emacs does when copying from clip board. However

  buffer-file-coding-system is a variable defined in `C source code'.
  Its value is utf-8-dos
  Local in buffer kisely-sum.txt; global value is utf-8-dos

The same thing seems to happen with the default iso-latin-1-dos.

I am doing this on w32 with recent builds.

The PDF I am reading is the full-text PDF from The British Journal of
Psychiatry 2007 v. 191, p. 373-374 (Kisely and Campbell). It is
available on this page:

  http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/vol191/issue5/

I am just copying the text in "Summary", after that word (from
"Supervised" to the end of the paragraph).

Can anyone please shed some light on this?