Re: GNU Emacs is on Bazaar now.

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs is on Bazaar now.
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 10:47:35 +0900

Óscar Fuentes writes:

 > Given the slow commit rate on the Emacs project, I see no problem using
 > the quickfixes branch on a CVS-like way: bind it to upstream

This encourages antisocial practices like per-file commits, and
committing ChangeLog separate from the changes.  Cf. the OP's
description of his workflow.  It gets in the way of use of Bazaar
features like "bzr log -n#" for other developers.  That is a problem,
if Emacs chooses to see it that way.

If Emacs has no intention of improving its common workflow, then it's
not a problem.  But if that's going to happen, there should be
discussion of whether folks like the OP (who is in good company with
the likes of rms and eliz) should be asked to invest the effort in a
forward-compatible workflow now, or if Emacs should wait to make such
improvements until the old-style workers are good and ready to accept
such changes (presumably due to retirement<wink>, since it will be
just as hard later as it is now, so they'll resist it then, too).