Re: GNU Emacs is on Bazaar now.

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs is on Bazaar now.
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 13:38:30 +0900

Óscar Fuentes writes:

 > >  Cf. the OP's
 > > description of his workflow.  It gets in the way of use of Bazaar
 > > features like "bzr log -n#" for other developers.
 >
 > Uh? What's the benefit of log -n# for one-revision merges?

You didn't read the OP's description of how that ChangeLog got
committed, obviously.  Please do that.

 > Well, there is no reason to settle on one Golden Workflow. It is clear
 > that we want to introduce new good practices on how the VC history is
 > developed (one changeset per purpose, etc) but that practices are not
 > incompatible with multiple workflows.

That's not at all my point.  The point is that there is a single
public repository that everybody is aiming at, and that personal
workflows that use centralization features *necessarily* impose that
personal workflow's history on the rest of the project.

 > distributed workflow is asking for problems. A gradual introduction with
 > a simpler workflow helps in several ways. That's a personal decission,
 > no other is affected by it.

You are wrong, at least in Bazaar which supports lightweight checkouts
and bound branches.  As soon as you bind a branch, you are at risk of
polluting the public history with personal mistakes.  Your convenience
may conflict with what is considered good practice by other developers.