Re: Strange message from "bzr pull"

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Strange message from "bzr pull"
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 12:00:11 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> Have you installed the repo anew after the switchover?
>
>Yes.  (The previous one was on another box, anyway.)
>
>> AFAIK, the M means that the working copy file has been updated. The
>> original instructions had the trunk created with
>>
>>   bzr branch --no-tree sftp://...
>>
>> so trunk/ had no working copy. Karl changed that perhaps two weeks ago.
>
>You are right, thanks for unlocking the mystery.
>
>But why were these instructions changed?  I thought having the trunk
>treeless had some clear advantages, the physical impossibility of
>editing there being one of them.
>
>Karl?

I changed it because in actually testing the instructions, I discovered
that the old instructions did not work :-).  Here is the revision
message from the wiki:

  Remove the --no-tree recommendation for the local trunk mirror. In
  order for merging into trunk (from local development branches) to
  work, there has to be a working tree in the merge
  destination.  Otherwise you will get an error like, e.g., 'bzr: ERROR:
  No WorkingTree exists for
  "file:///home/kfogel/src/emacs/trunk/.bzr/checkout/".'

-Karl