Re: GNU Emacs is on Bazaar now.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs is on Bazaar now.
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 20:08:42 +0200

> From: Karl Fogel <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 10:54:14 -0500
> Cc: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> Remember, during the transition, the point of
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/BzrForEmacsDevs was to offer a
> reliable, safe, and simple method for continuing to work.  That way, no
> one would shoot themselves (or the project) in the foot while learning
> how to use Bazaar.  This naturally involved compromises.
>
> Soon, though, developers (like Kenichi Handa) will be more familiar and
> comfortable with Bazaar.  Once that happens, they *will* start looking
> for ways to get around annoyances -- such as the need to do two commits
> with two log messages (!) even for simple typo changes.
>
> This is inevitable; if we deny this reality, we simply make the doc less
> useful.

As I wrote several weeks ago (and was pounced upon), I don't see why
we need to spoon-feed experienced developers such as Handa-san.  I see
no need to wait until developers ``start looking for ways to get
around'', and tell them how to do that only then.  Describe the
options (not all of them, just a few useful ones) together with their
merits and demerits, and let each one make their own choices, like the
grown-ups they are.  The current ``need to know basis'' attitude of
keeping information off the docs lest developers will be confused is
almost unethical, pardon my French.