Re: Quotes in Dired listing switches

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Quotes in Dired listing switches
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 22:04:58 +0100

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

>> There is an idea to introduce server-local environment variables. Then
>> you could keep different settings for `dired-actual-switches', depending
>> on the host Tramp is accessing.
>
> It seems there are already some server-local variables in
> ~/.emacs.d/tramp.  At least, I see two relevant variables:
> "ls" that has the value "/bin/ls" and "ls-dired" with the
> value `t'.  Maybe a new variable would help to keep settings
> for `dired-actual-switches'.

Yes, but this are Tramp specific server local variables. The idea is to
behave like buffer-local or frame-local variables do, i.e. introduce a
mechanism to declare an existing global variable as "server local".

> BTW, there is one problem with ~/.emacs.d/tramp.
> After upgrading the kernel, Tramp fails with the message
>
>   Tramp: Connection reset, because remote host changed from
>   `Linux 2.6.24-23-generic' to `Linux 2.6.24-24-generic'.
>
> because ~/.emacs.d/tramp has the old value of "uname".

That's intended. Tramp expects that all cached values are invalid once
the operating system has changed. Just connect, again; Tramp has flushed
its cache. (There is the request that Tramp reconnects automatically,
but this is not easy to implement. See the todo ...)

Best regars, Michael.