Re: Equivalent of release tags with bzr?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Equivalent of release tags with bzr?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 22:59:52 +0100

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> With CVS, I would tag each pretest with a cvs tag, with
> `cvs tag EMACS_PRETEST_XX_YY_ZZ'.  Now that we have moved to Bzr, what
> should be the corresponding procedure?

As Juanma says, there is a `tag' command. Sadly, it seems
underdocumented.

I did some experiments and it seems to work this way:

on your local trunk mirror,

bzr tag <name>

will tag the current tip revision with <name>. If your local mirror is a
bound branch or checkout (the recommended setup on our bzr guides for
emacs devs) it will automatically send the tag upstream. If you are
tagging on a proper branch, you'll need a `push' for propagating it; the
push command will report that it is nothing to push, but it is a lie: it
actually pushed the tag to its push location.

Later, you can operate with the tagged revision with the syntax
tag:<name>, so for instance

bzr log -r tag:<name>..

will show the log from the tagged revision to now.

bzr branch -r tag:<name> URL

will create a branch with the tagged revision as its tip.

You can see a list of availabe tags on the current branch with

bzr tags

HTH

--
Óscar