Re: Autoload from a web page?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Autoload from a web page?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 23:25:29 +0100

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 5:52 AM, Tom Tromey <address@hidden> wrote:

> Lennart> I am not aware that ELPA is downloading a file on require or
> Lennart> autoload. Is it?
>
> Nope.  It works in a different way, where users download and install
> entire packages, including their dependencies.

My intention is not to replace ELPA, but rather to create a backend
(and partly a frontend) for installing/updating through the web from a
repository (like bazaar on Launchpad).

Currently I have written to different ways to do this:

- Download a whole package of elisp files.
- Download a package part by part as the elisp files are needed (kind
of autoloading and installing locally through the web).

Those work currently in the only conventient way I could find out at
the moment. They download files directly from the web interface of the
repository (currently only Launchpad is supported). This has the
benefit that no sw except for Emacs is needed. From the user's point
of view it is easy.

There is no support for this use of the repository (bazaar) web
interface so this use is a bit fragile. I imagine ELPA could be
something in between giving this support (for example by simply taking
a snapshot from the repository and placing that on the web as just
directly accessible files).

ELPA could be the trusted source of where to begin, a kind of
directory for resources to download this way. An end Emacs user should
be able to trust ELPA that the sources are correct and virus/trojan
free (at least).

The second form, ie downloading part by part, depends simply on a file
with autoload information for the package of elisp files. ELPA could
produce such a file (or the package maintainer of course). (I have the
tools for that.)

Downloading part by part naturally puts some more rigid restrictions
on the elisp files in the package than normally, but it looks
solveable to me. (I am struggling with the elisp package nXhtml to
make it fit this right now.)

Downloading part by part has some advantages and disadvantages:

+ You download (automatically) just what you need and use.
+ To update you simply delete the local file.

- Files could become out of phase. Some version control should be good.
- You have to be connected to the internet when you want to use a
feature you have not used before.