Re: read-char doesn't use input-decode-map

From: Rob Giardina
Subject: Re: read-char doesn't use input-decode-map
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 19:56:14 +0000 (UTC)

Stefan Monnier <monnier <at> IRO.UMontreal.CA> writes:

> > I've noticed that read-char doesn't use input-decode-map.
>
> Indeed.  And changing that can introduce bugs elsewhere.
> That's why Emacs-23.2 introduced read-key which obeys input-decode-map
> and friends (to the extent possible).

Wow, read-key is pretty wild. I didn't realize you could do that
with idle timers.  Perhaps that's vanilla if you're used to
emacs' event handling :)

This apparently means that code like I attached has no way to
reliably translate all of a certain key into another key, at
least for existing code that uses read-char.  For example,
y-or-n-p.

-Rob