Re: Workflow to accumulate individual changes?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Workflow to accumulate individual changes?
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 00:57:54 +0100

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 22:46, Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> wrote:

> *IF* they are small changes, i.e., the sort of things that you would do
> on the quickfixes branch, *AND* if you didn't merge with trunk, this
> should work keeping the history nice:
>
> <hack>
> bzr commit
> <hack>
> bzr commit
> <when post-release arrives>:
> bzr rebase
> bzr push
>
> The resulting history on upstream will be linear, as if you committed
> each change one by one on top of the previous one.

If my post-23.2 branch is branched from my local trunk mirror, will
"bzr push" push to it? Will that work when trunk is a bound branch? Or
are you suggesting branching post-23.2 from
bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/trunk?

Anyway, after thinking about the issue, I'm not sure it'd work,
because of ChangeLog.

  cd emacs
  branch trunk post-23.2
  cd post-23.2
  # hack hack hack, including editing ChangeLog
  # days pass
  # 23.2 released
  cd ../trunk
  bzr update
  cd ../post-23.2
  bzr rebase
  bzr push     # ugh
  # dates in ChangeLog are wrong, so you need an additional commit to
fix the ChangeLog entries

so it only really works for fixes that do not need ChangeLog entries.

    Juanma