Re: M-x grep: broken buffer with pipes

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: M-x grep: broken buffer with pipes
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 02:32:12 +0200

> M-x grep RET 'defvar.*buffer' *.el | grep -v '"' RET
> (the shell command is "grep -nH -e 'defvar.*buffer' *.el | grep -v '"'")
> The *grep* buffer now contains (correctly) about 10% fewer matches, and
> longer yellow.

You can customize `grep-highlight-matches' to the value `always'
if you are content with the problems it might cause like
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/83316

> That lack of match highlighting is not a big deal, however, there is
> a hugely more horrible problem: one cannot click on the file name to visit
> the file.
> When you click on the file name, the file selection menu appears, with the
> default being ^[[K<file> where "^[" stands for the escape character (ESC
> (27, #o33, #x1b)) and <file> is the file name you clicked on.
> So, where do these 3 spurious characters (ESC [ K) come from?

I guess these escape sequences come from the grep switch --color that
outputs them around the matched strings.  However, I can't reproduce your
problem.  When I click on the file name that lacks of match highlighting,
it still visits the source file.  What grep version do you have?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/