Surely 'bzr branch' shouldn't be this slow?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Surely 'bzr branch' shouldn't be this slow?
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 17:47:43 +0000

Hi, all,

Having created a local copy of the bzr repository in my directory
~/emacs/emacs.bzr/trunk, I then went to create the now familiar
quickfixes branch from it, with this command:

    $ time bzr branch emacs.bzr/trunk/ quickfixes/

.  This took over 39 minutes at 100% CPU usage.  For comparison, a full
build on my machine takes ~33 minutes.

What on Earth is going on here?  Surely creating a branch (which,
essentially, is just copying or linking files) should take at most a few
seconds.

Is there some configuration setting (or something) I've missed?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).