Re: Surely 'bzr branch' shouldn't be this slow?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Surely 'bzr branch' shouldn't be this slow?
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 18:59:10 +0100

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi, all,
>
> Having created a local copy of the bzr repository in my directory
> ~/emacs/emacs.bzr/trunk, I then went to create the now familiar
> quickfixes branch from it, with this command:
>
>     $ time bzr branch emacs.bzr/trunk/ quickfixes/
>
> .  This took over 39 minutes at 100% CPU usage.  For comparison, a full
> build on my machine takes ~33 minutes.
>
> What on Earth is going on here?  Surely creating a branch (which,
> essentially, is just copying or linking files) should take at most a few
> seconds.
>
> Is there some configuration setting (or something) I've missed?

If you followed the recommended setup, your quickfixes/ branch should be
created within emacs.bzr/, which is the shared repo. Branching within a
shared repo is much faster because the new branch shares its history
with the previous one and the required time is reduced to creating the
working tree (the files you edit). Try it.

--
Óscar